Interesting Facts About Wyoming
- Wyoming was acquired as part of the Louisiana Purchase in 1803.
- The JCPenney stores were started in Kemmerer.
- Devils Tower was designated as the first National Monument (1906)
- Wyoming was the first state to give women the right to vote.
- Yellowstone is the first official National Park (1872)
- Wyoming is the 9th largest state, but has the fewest people (475,000).
- The first coal mine in Wyoming was in Carbon in 1867
- The largest coal mine in the USA is Black Thunder located near Wright.
- Wyoming leads the country in coal production in 1994 with 3 million tons per week