Interesting Facts About the United States
Interesting facts about the United States is a site about just that, interesting facts about the United States. Find interesting facts about individual states and the US as a whole. Enjoy!
- Over 32% of all the land in the United States is owned by the federal government.
- There was one president that believed the world was flat – Andrew Jackson.
- Gerald Ford was the only man who held both the Presidency and the Vice-Presidency, but who was not elected to either post.
- Jimmy Carter was the first president to be born inside of a hospital.
- The Wright brothers made the first successful flight in a plane in 1903.
- Gutzon Borglum sculpted Presidents George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, and Abraham Lincoln on Mount Rushmore (between 1927 and 1941)
- William McKinley was the first president of the United States to ride in an automobile. He was taken to the hospital in an electric ambulance after he was shot.
- The United States has never lost a war in which mules were used. (Maybe we should start using mules again)
- George Washington had a phobia of being buried alive. After he died, he wanted to be laid out for three days just to make sure he was really dead.
- The Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper.
- Only two people, John Hancock and Charles Thomson signed the Declaration of Independence on July 4, 1776. Most of the rest signed on August 2, but the last signature wasn’t added until five years later.
- Russia sold the State of Alaska (to the west of Canada) to the United States in 1867.
- More steel in the US is used to make bottle caps than to manufacture automobile bodies.
- It is possible for any American citizen to give whatever name he or she chooses to any unnamed mountain or hill in the United States.
- On February 22, 1732 George Washington was born. George Washington was the only of all Founding Fathers to free his slaves. Marijuana was the primary crop grown by George Washington at Mount Vernon.
- 1,525,000,000 miles of telephone wire a strung across the U.S.
- 166,875,000,000 pieces of mail are delivered each year in the U.S.
- 7% of Americans don’t know the first 9 words of the American anthem, but know the first 7 of the Canadian anthem.
- A toothpick is the object most often choked on by Americans!
- About 70% of Americans who go to college do it just to make more money. [The rest of us are avoiding reality for four more years.]
- Actor Tommy Lee Jones and former vice-president Al Gore were freshman roommates at Harvard.
- Al Capone’s business card said he was a used furniture dealer.
- All 50 states are listed across the top of the Lincoln Memorial on the back of the $5 bill.
- There are many more interesting facts about the United States and the 50 states themselves. Use the navigation to the left to learn about each state.